Publication date: 27 Oct 2022
About the Race of Champions
The Race of Champions (ROC) is an international motor racing event for the world’s best drivers, held annually at the end or beginning of the year. It is the only motor racing event that includes competitors from Formula 1, IndyCar and NASCAR as well as touring car and motorbike racers.
2023 Race of Champions
It’s already known that the ROC-2023 will once again be held in Sweden, on the 28th and 29th of January. Many famous drivers have already confirmed their participation such as Sebastian Vettel, Mika Hakkinen, two-time W Series champion Jamie Chadwick and others.
History of the Race of Champions
The first Race of Champions was organised in 1988 in honour of deceased race driver Henri Toivonen. Since then, the race has been held every year with the exception of a few occasions. The winner of the race receives the title “Champion of Champions” and the Henry Toivonen Memorial Trophy.
From 1992 to 2003, the race was held in the Canary Islands. Afterwards, the format of the event changed slightly and since then the locations of the races have changed every year, e.g.:
- 2003 – 2004 – Saint-Denis, Paris, France;
- 2007 – 2008 – Wembley Stadium, London, England;
- 2009 – Beijing National Stadium, China;
- 2010 to 2011 – Esprit Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany;
- 2012 to 2013 – Rajamangala Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand;
- 2014 – Bushy Park Raceway, Barbados, North America;
- 2015 – London Stadium, Stratford, England;
- 2017 – Marlins Park in Miami, Florida, USA;
- 2018 – King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia;
- 2019 – Foro Sol Sports Complex in Mexico City, North America.
Winners of the previous Race of Champions
|2022||Sweden||Sébastien Loeb (France)|
|2019||Mexico||Benita Guerrero Jr. (Italy)|
|2018||Saudi Arabia||David Coulthard (Great Britain)|
2024 Race of Champions
The exact dates and venues of the next Race of Champions will be known at a later date. Keep an eye on the dates of road races and other events in our Sporting Events Calendar.
Share it with your friends via favorite social media