Gambling in Europe Has Become More Active and Safer

Publication date: 19 Jul 2023

Europe has seen a 20% increase in safer gambling messages among casino and bookmakers’ customers. In 2022, European operators sent around 45.5 million such messages. At the same time, almost 50% of the messages were personalized and directly related to the gambling behaviour of individual customers. Such data is contained in the “Trade Organization Annual Sustainability Report” published by the European Gaming and Betting Association (EGBA) in July 2023.

Furthermore, it is relevant to note that the practice of personalization has grown by 40% compared to last year. Experts say this is a sign of increased engagement and willingness to interact with customers in the gambling market. “We are pleased that our members continue to make positive progress in their efforts to promote safer gambling,” added EGBA secretary general Martin Heyer.

  • European gambling has become safer and, as a result, the number of bookmaker and online casino customers has increased by 5%. The amount in customer accounts rose to up to €31.2 million (year-on-year).

In 2022, around 18.4 million clients used at least one tool for safer gambling. That’s an increase of 60% from a year earlier. In 67% of cases, customers opted for a deposit limit to ensure their security.

  • According to EGBA, male customers were the majority in 2022 with 74%, while the remaining 26% were female. Two age categories, 26 to 35 years old and 36 to 50 years old, made up the largest customer groups (30% each of the total customer base).

Additionally, 51% of clients reported that they were able to reduce their financial losses following interventions for their gambling behaviour.

  • Among other useful achievements, the report notes the doubling (+109%) of the gambling industry’s contribution to research, education and treatment of problem gambling (RET) across Europe, totaling €49 million.

Ultimately, EGBA experts urged operators to adapt more proactively to the changing political and regulatory landscape. “This is not 2007 and it is no longer a nascent industry,” emphasized Martin Heyer. In his words, “instead of criticizing ‘over-regulation’, operators should collaborate with stakeholders to find solutions that meet the demands of society.”

Did you like the article?

Share it with your friends via favorite social media

Read more

On 14 September 2023, the Chamber of Deputies of Brazil approved the government’s gambling bill. […]

From 2024, Sweden will intensify its fight against illegal operators. The local regulator Spelinspektionen will […]

About the Qatar Grand Prix The Qatar Grand Prix is one of the rounds of […]

The ultimate question of life, the universe and everything: how to get high conversion and […]

About the NFL The National Football League (NFL) is the largest professional league in American […]

In September 2023, new figures on the state of the Kenyan gambling market have emerged: […]

August has passed and brought a lot of new and interesting things. On 3S.INFO we […]

On 1 September 2023, the Ministry of Finance published new figures: for 7 months (and […]

About the European Baseball Championship The European Baseball Championship (Eurobaseball) is the main tournament among […]

About the Cup of the 100th Anniversary of National Volleyball The BETCITY Centennial Cup is […]